Quiz: How Well Does Your Team Function?
How do you know if your team is working at the highest level?
Teams are a critical part of today’s workforce — but they’re often unsuccessful. One wide-ranging study looking across industries found that 75% of cross-department teams are dysfunctional. Some of the reasons for failure include problems with coordination, motivation, and competition — as well as waiting too long to address these issues.
How do you know if your team is working at the highest level? We crafted an assessment of 23 items designed to help members of a team become more aware of how it functions. By assessing a series of factors known to influence a team’s success — such as team purpose, commitment, talent, norms, goals, morale, and rewards — you can examine how well your team is functioning and see what levers might be most effective for improving productivity and satisfaction.
Our tool has been validated by both current team theory and existing team assessments, and we’ve deployed it within 14 teams at a large-scale health care organization. We’ve received positive initial feedback that it helped those teams diagnose where they need to focus to be more effective.
Using a scale from 0 to 10, please rate the following items as they best describe the current state of your team.
To what extent does the statement describe your team:
- 0 = Not at all, this is almost never true for the majority of the team members
- 3 = This is occasionally true for the majority of the team members
- 5 = Moderately well, this is true about half of the time for the majority of the team members
- 7 = This is usually true for the majority of the team members
- 10 = Extremely well, this is true almost all of the time for all of the team members